Santissimo Crocifisso Church
This church is one of the oldest among the smaller churches of Barga. Although we do not know the exact date of when it was founded, we know that it undoubtedly already existed in the 15th century, as the rooms adjoining this church for a long time were the residence of the Franciscan friars of the suppressed Convent of S. Bernardino in the locality Nebbiana, who moved into the Barga Castle to assist lepers.
It then underwent several refurbishments and extensions, such as in 1631 when part of the Arringo wall above it, collapsed disastrously on the church, killing 17 people; or in 1737, when, at the hands of the ‘Battuti della Croce’ Brotherhood, the length of the church was increased.The interior is divided into three naves. Inside you can admire a rich and refined 17th-century wooden altar and a choir stand made from cherry wood with fine carvings, perhaps attributable to Verzani of Barga, dating to the 1600s.
Source: La guida di Barga
View on Map: Santissimo Crocifisso Church