Church of the Santissima Annunziata
Originally called the Church of the Visitation, it was founded by some devotees in 1595, twelve people from the most illustrious families of Barga bought the "site and houses to make a decent oratory". Two 14th-century wooden statues of the Archangel Gabriele and of the Madonna were transferred into the church, according to tradition, from the sacristy of the Duomo.
At the end of the 19th century the façade of the church was built and in the same century the two frescoes depicting the Marriage of Mary and the Presentation in the Temple by the painter Giammattei of Lucca were commissioned. During World War II, the church was badly damaged by some artillery shells and later had to be restored.Currently the church has a total of five altars. On the alter to the right of the nave, there is a remarkable painting attributed to Baccio Ciarpi: the Madonna and child with Saints.
Source: La guida di Barga
View on Map: Church of the Santissima Annunziata