Printing House 'Bertagni'
In the early twentieth century, the Ugo Bertagni printing house was opened in this ancient building. It became famous for having published the first five editions of the Italian periodical entitled 'L’Eroica' edited by Ettore Cozzani. This journal was important in the field of futurism, art, literature and xylography.
In 2014, as part of the centenary celebrations of the first publication, Professor Umberto Sereni and the Historical Institute of Lucca, paied tridute to this historical event with the unveiling of a commemorative plaque, which can still be seen on the enclosing wall and which read:
'Here, where Ugo Bertagni set up a printing house as a cultural centre in the summer of 1914 Ettore Cozzani brought his 'L'Eroica’ here to be printed, a periodical dedicated to the spiritual renaissance and that restored dignity to xylography and prepared and supported the Italian citizens in the supreme test of war'.
The Bertagni printing house finally closed in 1944. It currently houses the bed and breakfast 'Il Borgo Vacanze'
According to some historians, the other wall of the garden was originally part of the ancient city walls of Barga. It was later incorporated into the old town with the expansion of the settlement down towards the current entrance at Via di Borgo.
Source: La guida di Barga
View on Map: Printing House 'Bertagni'